Managing Dyslexia Symptoms

Posted by admin 9/05/2009 0 comments
The field of Dyslexia treatment has changed significantly in recent years. As a licensed educational psychologist and a person who has struggled with Dyslexia, I have been on both sides of Dyslexia treatment. I was diagnosed with dyslexia at a young age and I attended the Kildonan School for students with dyslexia. I feel that I have largely overcome this disorder and I have actually found ways to use this positively in my life (my career choice being one example).

Students with dyslexia may have some advantages today. When I was in school computer use was uncommon, and I had to carry an electronic spell checker wherever I went. These were not available until I was a senior in high school. There is no still no cure for dyslexia, but dyslexic individuals can learn to read and write with appropriate educational support.

For alphabet writing systems, the fundamental aim is to increase a child's awareness of correspondences between graphemes (alphabetic letters) and phonemes (the smallest segmental unit of sound employed to form meaningful contrasts between utterances), and to relate these to reading and spelling. It has been found that training focused towards visual language and orthographic issues (the orthography of a language specifies the correct way of using a specific writing system to write the language) yields longer-lasting gains than mere oral phonological training.

The best approach is determined by the underlying neurological cause(s) of the dyslexic symptom.

Treatment that most psychologists perform today includes re-learning basic reading and writing skills through memorization techniques adapted for the particular student. Psychologists can also focus on other issues common to individuals with dyslexia such as penmanship, spelling, and increasing focus and concentration. Finally, a psychologist can write a letter to your child's school to allow for increased test taking time, a reader during tests (including the SAT) and other suitable accommodations.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Michael_Lee_Bishop

0 comments:

Post a Comment