Take a Break to Create

Posted by admin 10/31/2009 0 comments
Do you sometimes get bogged down when writing, analyzing, designing, or engaged in some other creative endeavor? Or maybe you just can't get started; you experience writer's block or draw a blank. The empty page or screen can be intimidating. Author Peter De Vries said "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork."

Then, take a break! I've found that changing from one kind of activity to another stimulates creativity. This is especially true when transitioning from work to leisure, exercise, or a hobby. Perhaps by resting our conscious mind we engage our subconscious mind.

Consider a recent example. One morning, first thing, I began work on a proposal to publish a third edition of one of my books. After about two hours, I had a good start, including an outline and some text. However, I began to bog down and also get hungry. I biked to a nearby restaurant and, while enjoying a light breakfast, three proposal-related ideas "popped" into my head. I wrote about them on the backside of paper placemats.

I then began a ten-mile bike ride, during which I stopped three times to briefly jot down more ideas that appeared "out of the blue." More recently, I followed exactly the same pattern - breakfast and a ten mile bike ride - and, during the ride and out of the blue, I saw how to structure a report that was in the very early stages.

These specific situations are typical of many similar creative experiences I've enjoyed over the years that were stimulated by "changing gears." Taking a break improves personal effectiveness and efficiency.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Stu_Walesh

0 comments:

Post a Comment